1. So PORK, what do you think of Mitt Romney’s vote for witnesses and vote to convict?
2. Well, BARREL, I think Mitt Romney is an interesting study in human nature.
3. How so, PORK.
4. BARREL, Mitt is handsome. He is smart. He is well dressed in his navy suit. He has held significant offices. He is straight laced. He ran for POTUS. He gives every appearance of having a strong religious moral compass. Notwithstanding, and I could be wrong, it does look like Mitt has a tragic fatal flaw.
5. What is a tragic fatal flaw, PORK?
6. Well, BARREL, a tragic fatal flaw is what is called hamartia or hamartanein, which means “to err.”
7. A tragic fatal flaw is a fatal personality deficiency that ultimately leads to the loss of influence and the downfall of the tragic hero.
8. This hamartia, this fatal flaw, fault, failure, guilt, is revealed in Greek tragedy by what the protagonist does and what he or she says.
9. This tragic flaw can be traits like ambition, cowardice, over-protectiveness, or self-sacrifice.
10. Actually, this tragic fatal flaw may be many different character traits if they become responsible for failure, self or other destruction, or death.
11. In a nutshell, a tragic fatal flaw is a character defect that leads to a person’s marginalization, self-destruction, and downfall.
12. Lack of self-knowledge or awareness, lack of good judgment are tragic fatal flaws; but most often hubris or pride provides the seedbed for or is in fact the core tragic fatal flaw.
13. So how does this work, PORK?
14. Well, BARREL, there are a number of persons with tragic fatal flaws in biblical accounts – people like David and Solomon and Saul and Judas had tragic fatal flaws. And there are those with tragic fatal flaws in the pages of fiction. Think for example about Shakespeare’s Hamlet.
15. One of Hamlet’s tragic fatal flaws is indecisiveness which is seen in his thinking about whether vengeance is wrong or right. This “back and forth nature” has a great deal to do with Hamlet’s ultimate downfall.
16. Hamlet wavers back and forth: “To be, or not to be – that is the question: Whether ’tis nobler in the mind to suffer The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune Or to take arms against a sea of troubles And by opposing end them. To die, to sleep … No more; and by a sleep to say we end The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks That flesh is heir to, ’tis a consummation Devoutly to be wish’d. To die, to sleep …”
10. Goethe’s Dr. Faustus’ tragic flaw is his overwhelming ambition which leads to what has come to be called his Faustian bargain with the Devil.
11. Because Faust was so ambitious, wanting unlimited knowledge and unlimited pleasures, he made a contract with Satan and sold his soul for short term gains – for the proverbial mess of pottage.
12. Finally, when Faust’s soul is taken to hell, Faust realizes his sin, tries to repent, but it was too late. Lucifer, the ruler of hell under Cain, had encircled Faust with his chains. Lucifer subjected Faust to his diabolical control.
11. We have Othello who killed his faithful Desdemona and having self-destructed kills himself. Othello was possessed by the tragic fatal flaw of jealousy.
12. And of course you know Sophocle’s Oedipus the King lacked humility. Oedipus was beset with pride which was his tragic fatal flaw.
13. In The Crucible by Arthur Miller, prideful John Proctor goes to his death because of his pride.
14. So what you are saying, PORK, is that Mitt Romney has a tragic fatal flaw despite the fact that he was elected governor and senator and has millions in Switzerland and a beautiful family.
15. What is it, PORK? What is Mitt’s tragic fatal flaw?
16. You know, BARREL, I do not think I am wrong although I certainly could be wrong.
17. I think Mitt’s tragic fatal flaw is best identified and defined by how Mitt treated and treats POTUS TRUMP. Mitt’s tragic fatal flaw may be defined by an analysis of Mitt’s election loss contrasted with POTUS TRUMP’S election win but I think that approach may be superficial. Mitt appears to have the same prideful tragic fatal flaw possessed by Adam Schiff and Jerry Nadler and Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer.
18. Remember these facts which were all over the newspapers, tabloids, television and radio.
19. Remember that Mitt asked POTUS TRUMP to support him when Mitt ran for POTUS.
20. If I’ve got my facts right, Mitt and his wife dined with POTUS TRUMP, schmoozed POTUS TRUMP and Melania, and POTUS TRUMP graciously and with largeness of soul gave Mitt his unwavering support.
21. Juxtapose when POTUS TRUMP ran for office and POTUS TRUMP asked Mitt for his support.
22. Mitt refused to give POTUS TRUMP his unwavering support. In fact, Mitt trashed POTUS TRUMP and has continued to trash POTUS TRUMP repeatedly.
23. So I think this may well say it all. It is no wonder POTUS TRUMP did not take Mitt into his cabinet.
24. More precisely, Mitt’s tragic fatal flaw appears to be his violation and continued violation of the American, indeed world-wide, honor code of reciprocity.
25. Today in the partisan democrat driven Senate trial, given Mitt’s vocal call for witnesses, and Mitt’s leaning toward voting against POTUS TRUMP, it would appear that Mitt egotistically and jealously and with enmity and ill will is doing the same thing again to POTUS TRUMP.
16. So PORK, are you just saying that Mitt was willing to take but unwilling to give? Are you just saying that Harvard Bain Capital millionaire Mitt felt pridefully entitled to Builder Entrepreneur billionaire POTUS TRUMP’S support because Mitt believed he was one of the moral and financial and elected elite? Are you saying that it appears that Harvard Bain Capital Mitt thinks he is so much “better than Builder Entrepreneur billionaire POTUS TRUMP?”
17. Yes, BARREL. I think that says it well. Recognizing and admitting the perils of judging, and acknowledging that I could be wrong, Mitt’s tragic fatal flaw appears to be his pride and lack of humility. It appears to those of us watching from the sidelines that at the heart of this matter, Mitt’s conduct in reality is not based on moral principle; instead it is Mitt’s continuing failure to care for and love POTUS TRUMP and his family despite their perceived frailties. Mitt’s tragic fatal flaw appears to be his ongoing failure to embrace POTUS TRUMP and his family as well POTUS TRUMP’S election win. Mitt’s tragic fatal flaw appears to be an unceasing enmity and antipathy toward POTUS TRUMP because of who Mitt Romney judges POTUS TRUMP and his family to be. This same conclusion is true of Adam and Jerry and Chuck and Nancy. Their impeachment is driven not be a search for truth, although methinks they profess the same vociferously, rather their impeachment activities are driven by enmity which is to say hatred of POTUS TRUMP because of who they perceive him to be.
18. Said another way, it appears to us deplorables that Harvard Bain Capital Mitt apparently thought and it looks like he still thinks he was and is somehow better than POTUS TRUMP and that he Harvard Bain Capital Mitt was robbed of the presidency and that he Mitt is deserving of POTUS TRUMP’S support. At the same time Harvard Bain Capital Mitt appears to believe that POTUS TRUMP for whatever reason did not and does not rise to Mitt’s high standard as being worthy and deserving of Mitt’s support or for that matter worthy of being POTUS. Not as an aside, and this is only one illustration, what Mitt is apparently unwilling to recognize is that POTUS TRUMP attended Kew-Forest School, Fordham University, New York Military Academy, and Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania not Harvard. POTUS TRUMP comes to the presidency from the hard knocks life of Architecture and Construction. POTUS TRUMP comes from the hard knocks life dealing with media people as well. If I’m not mistaken, POTUS TRUMP, Warren Buffett, Ivanka Trump, Elon Musk, Peter Lynch, Jon Huntsman Sr, are but a few of Wharton’s distinguished alumni. And I think Penn has produced the most billionaires on Forbe’s 400 Richest List – more than Harvard – if I am not mistaken. And I do believe POTUS TRUMP pulled off The Apprentice as one of the highest rated television shows ever. For anyone with a smattering of experience in broadcasting and other media, such took genius of the highest order, a level of genius POTUS Obama will not begin to reach with Netflix and Mitt did not reach at Bain. Then of course there is the amazing, admirable, now legendary come from behind unexpected presidency genius win by POTUS TRUMP, a win Mitt was unable to pull off.
19. So is there reconciliation between the two men PORK? And if so, how so PORK?
20.Sure, BARREL. There can be reconciliation but such reconciliation is more than likely not on POTUS TRUMP’S side of the ledger. He is POTUS. Mitt is not, No matter how much Mitt wants to be.
21. I mean, look at it, BARREL. It is probably as simple as this. POTUS TRUMP graciously offered Mitt his support. And Mitt appears to have judged POTUS TRUMP as unworthy and so refused to reciprocate.
22. Keep in mind, BARREL, POTUS TRUMP has gone on to keep more political promises and do more for the American people than any president since Lincoln and before him Washington. In no way can Mitt as Massachusett’s governor match POTUS TRUMP’S performance.
23. Seems to me that Mitt may be well advised to swallow his pride and shake hands with POTUS TRUMP and say “I’m sorry. I have been a jerk. I have not reciprocated” and thereby quickly and whole heartedly jump on the POTUS TRUMP band wagon and campaign and labor diligently to help POTUS TRUMP and the Republicans succeed in a second term, rather than kowtowing to Adam Schiff and Jerry Nadler and Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi and the rest of the partisan democrats. Why? Because any bargain by Mitt with or that rewards the partisan impeachment democrats is Faustian at best and the end result is more than likely not heaven.
24. Yes, PORK. And while we are having this interesting discussion, it certainly looks like the Utah electorate will have been hoodwinked by Mitt who appears to have carpet bagged his way to Utah so he could run for Orrin Hatch’s Senate Seat; and this for certain if Mitt now proves turncoat to the Republicans and POTUS TRUMP and then claims that he Mitt is righteous in prolonging this tedious democrat partisan impeachment by calling for witnesses or by voting against POTUS TRUMP because of some trumped up moral grounds.
25. Yes, BARREL. And don’t we all have one or more tragic fatal flaws?
26. We do, PORK. We all do. Tongue in cheek, even POTUS TRUMP has his share. There is a Book of Mormon scripture that says: “And if men come unto me [Jesus Christ] I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.”
Ether 12:27 ” Our challenge is to recognize our tragic fatal flaws and get rid of them before they destroy us.